Friday, June 26, 2015

Five for a Damp-Clothes-Friday with a Broken Dryer!



We finally made it to Friday! This week my dryer died on us, RIP. Back to the old times, hanging the clothes outside to dry! Seems like every summer something goes bad! Last summer was the AC, talking about an unexpected expense! So, we've been shopping around for a drier, and considering if we should go ahead and replace the washer too, as probably will soon quit too. Appliances nowadays are not built to last much longer than five years (if you are lucky), and our washer and drier are hitting the nine year mark, at least! Not sure yet what we are going to do, but we'll have to make a decision soon.



I went back to the dentist to finish my root canal, and I'm still sore, so I'm taking Advil, trying to feel a little better. Also yesterday was my scheduled annual mammogram, another one of my least favorites things to do. I'm telling you, this week has not been any fun at all with all the squeezing,  and drilling!


 Good thing yesterday I received my T-shirt, which I absolutely love! Got it from A+ Images http://teachershirts.com/ Isn't it super cute?




Among other things I've been working on a Sight Word Poster. It's not ready yet, as I'm still doing the final polishing touches, but this is how it looks:
This is a newer and much cuter version of what I have used in the past. Although it might seem small in this picture, it's actually 22" by 25". It is made with 6 pages (landscape orientation). Since it is editable, you can type your students' names before printing.
Every five words students can recognize, they earn a sticker that they paste by their name. (I use those little stars they sell in the dollar store). Every 20 words, they can pick something from our treasure chest.
I can't tell you how well this has worked with my all classes so far. Children just love to track their accomplishments. Even my lower expectation students have been able to reach 50 sight words and above by the end of the year. This is also a tool for me, just by looking at the poster, I immediately know who I need to provide extra support to. So, I could say this is an incentive for me as well, as I want ALL my students to reach their potential.
Of course this package will include much more than the poster. I'm also working on editable sight word lists to send home, with list of activities that they can do at home, incentive cards, certificates, etc. I hoping to finish it by this weekend. Stay tuned!


Lastly, I am extremely excited and full of expectations about tonight's soccer game between Argentina and Colombia. We are reaching the semi-finals, so it would be the end of the road for the losing team. I'm originally from Argentina, so I'm really hoping that Leo Messi pulls his magic, and makes us winners! But I am a little nervous, as Colombia has an excellent team as well. It starts 7:30 ET, Yay!

As always, thank you for reading! Have a marvelous weekend!

6 comments:

  1. I had a root canal re-retreatment this winter on a tooth that originally had a root canal 25 yrs ago and a retreatment about 5 years ago. Not fun at all. Nothing worse than spending money on boring appliances. Have a great weekend.
    Middle School Math Rules

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherrie, thank you for your comment. You are right, nothing worse than spending money on this! You too have a great weekend!
      Marta

      Delete
  2. Your t-shirt is fab, so cute, i love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Can't wait to wear it when school starts!
      Marta

      Delete
  3. What a week! I had my water heater die a couple of weeks ago. UGGH! Home repair never fun. Have a wonderful weekend.

    Cheers,
    DocrRunning
    http://everyed.blogspot.fr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, DocRunning, thank you for your comment. I'm waiting for my water heater too...it's kind of old. That will probably be next summer! LOL
      Marta

      Delete